Cottage pie. Being from Australia, cottage pie is a favourite when it comes to comfort food for the family. Overall, this recipe is pretty close to the orignial. Not sure why you would want to add cinnamon to a traditional cottage pie.
Wonderful cottage pie reminds me of the meals I had in my British school's canteen.
I followed the recipe for everything except the green peas coz I do not have them on hand.
I use a bigger onion instead.
Yes, this is a simple recipe just taking into consideration the additional ones. I think the hardest allowance is to find the best ingredients hence you can enjoy the tasty Cottage pie for your dinner with your associates or family. You can cook Cottage pie using 8 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Cottage pie
- It's 450 g of beef mince.
- You need 2 sticks of celery.
- It's 2 of medium carrots.
- You need 1 of red onion.
- You need 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- You need 3 tsp of bisto beef gravy granules.
- It's 1 tablespoons of tomato puree.
- It's 5 of medium sized Maris Piper potatoes.
I forgot to dot extra butter on top but it still came out crisp with adequately brown. This is a meat and carb heavy dish, so it goes really well with fresh side salads like a Rocket Salad with Balsamic Dressing, or a Garden Salad with French or Italian Dressing. I recently served it with this Carrot Salad with a Honey Dijon Dressing which was a hit!. For a cosy meal on a cold winter night, try it with a side of Glazed Roasted Carrots and Sautéed.
Cottage pie step by step
- Peel and chop the potatoes and put onto boil. These take approx 18mins from reaching the boil. Drain and mash these with a splash of milk and a knob of real butter. Go for a wetter mash as you need to be able to spread it on top of the meat mix later..
- Whilst the potato cooks, dice up the onion, celery and carrots and in a separate pan saute these in the vegetable oil..
- Once the vegetables have softened a little add the tomato puree. Then add the minced beef to brown. Keep stirring so that any lumps are broken up..
- When the meat is browned add in the gravy granules and a little water (about 1/4 pint) to make the mixture wet and gravy coated but not swimming. Spoon this into a n ovenproof dish..
- Add the mash to the dish. Spread it out to cover all the meat mixture. You can leave the dish at this point if you need to prepare ahead of mealtime..
- When ready to get the meal together put the dish into a 200° oven for approx 30 mins. If you like cheese add some grated cheddar to top the dish for the last 15 mins.
- Serve with boiled or steamed vegetables on the side with beef gravy..
Cottage pie is a meat pie that is topped with mashed potatoes and baked in the oven. Now, cottage pie and shepherd's pie differ only in the type of ground meat they are made with. Cottage pie is actually older than shepherd's pie. Potatoes were affordable ingredients that were often used by the peasants, who lived in cottages. A traditional cottage pie is made with ground beef and topped with mashed potatoes.
Just to let you know the recipe already tested by team, you helpfully follow all the cooking instructions and collect the ingredients to acquire the appetizing Cottage pie. If you have questions or requests in this area this article, entertain contact us as soon as possible. And don't forget to bookmark this page thus you will easily locate it once again later. The content source: https://cookpad.com